archives of the Vienna Papers Int. Colloquium
The 75th anniversary of Delfim Santos' An evaluative assessment of Neopositivism
The 75th anniversary of Delfim Santos' An evaluative assessment of Neopositivism was an international colloquium jointly organized by the Centro de Filosofia das Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa and the Arquivo Delfim Santos, in association with the Institute Vienna Circle, as part of the project The Vienna Papers of Delfim Santos and the Philosophy of Science in Portugal. Organized and chaired by Filipe D. Santos.
The Colloquium was held on the 4th & 5th November 2011 at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon, Portugal, celebrating Professor Delfim Santos' dissertation, written in 1936 and published two years later in Berlin – 1938.
Keynote speakers included:
Friedrich STADLER, Head of the Institute Vienna Circle and the Moritz-Schlick-Projekt.
Filipe D. SANTOS (CFCUL),head of the Delfim Santos project.
José Luis Brandão da LUZ (Azores University), author of Introduction to Epistemology, Knowledge, Truth and History, 2002.
Augusto FITAS (Évora University), co-author of Philosophy and History of Science in Portugal during the 20th Century, 2008.
Olga POMBO (Lisbon University), co-author of Otto Neurath and the Unity of Science, 2011.
1) The Vienna Circle (Wiener Kreis) and its ambitious epistemological program: positivism, empiricism, 'Logistik' and the unity of science.
2) The impact of the Vienna Circle in Portugal.
3) Delfim Santos and his An Evaluative Assessment of Neopositivism in the context of Science and Philosophy of Science in Portugal.
4) Other current and ongoing research on Delfim Santos' life and work.
5) Portuguese students and research fellows abroad in the first half of the 20th Century: from the Junta de Educação Nacional (1929-1936) to the Instituto para a Alta Cultura (1936-1952).
Friday, 4 November 2011
09:30-10:00 – Sérgio FERNANDES – Teoria da verdade e filosofia da
lógica em Situação Valorativa do Positivismo.
(11:00-11.15 – Coffee break)
11:15-11:45 – Brandão da LUZ – Delfim Santos e a verdade como
desafio e limite do conhecimento.
(13:00-14:00 – Lunch break)
14:00-14:30 – Fernanda ROLLO – Promover e organizar
ciência no tempo da I República: projetos nacionais, modelos
internacionais e a criação da Junta de Educação Nacional (JEN).
(15:00-15.15 – Coffee break)
15:15-15.45 – Manuel CURADO – A correspondência filosófica entre
Delfim Santos e Edmundo Curvelo.
Saturday, 5 November 2011
09:00-09:30 – Rosa FINA
– Mircea Eliade e Delfim Santos nos anos 40: correspondência e
(10:30-10.45 – Coffee break)
10:45-11:15 – Olga POMBO
– What about Neurath's program of unity of science today?
José MAURÍCIO – Delfim Santos e o neopositivismo.
DELFINIANA – SITE DE ESTUDOS SOBRE DELFIM SANTOS
Escreva para arquivodelfimsantos @ gmail.com